From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 08:18:21
1 On 4/5/20 3:50 pm, hitachi303 wrote:
2 > Am 04.05.2020 um 02:46 schrieb Rich Freeman:
3 >> On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 6:50 PM hitachi303
4 >> <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 >> ...
7 > So you are right. This is the way they do it. I used the term raid to
8 > broadly.
9 > But still they have problems with limitations. Size of room, what air
10 > conditioning can handle and stuff like this.
11 >
12 > Anyway I only wanted to point out that there are different approaches
13 > in the industries and saving the data at any price is not always
14 > necessary.
15 >
16 I would suggest that once you go past a few drives there are better ways.
17
18 I had two 4 disk, bcache fronted raid 10's on two PC'cs with critical
19 data backed up between them.  When an ssd bcache failed in one, and two
20 backing stores in the other almost simultaneously I nearly had to resort
21 to offline backups to restore the data ... downtime was still a major pain.
22
23 I now have a 5 x cheap arm systems and a small x86 master with 7 disks
24 across them - response time is good, power use seems less (being much
25 cooler, quieter) than running two over the top older PC's.  The
26 reliability/recovery time (at least when I tested by manually failing
27 drives and causing power outages) is much better.
28
29 I am using moosefs, but lizardfs looks similar and both can offer
30 erasure coding which gives more storage space still with recovery if you
31 have enough disks.
32
33 Downside is maintaining more systems, more complex networking and the
34 like - Its been a few months now, and I wont be going back to raid for
35 my main storage.
36
37 BillK

pEpkey.asc application/pgp-keys