From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub menu and the new openrc
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 05:59:38
1 On Monday 16 May 2011 13:10:52 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > Did you try creating a new runlevel (dale_special) and then booting into
5 > > it by appending softlevel=dale_special ?
6 > >
7 > > That will prove if the Gentoo softlevel mechanism is no longer available.
8 >
9 > I tried some of the other runlevels, nonetwork, single, boot and none of
10 > those work except for single by just putting "rw single" in the boot
11 > line. Single doesn't work if I select it by using softlevel=single.
12 > That does work if I am in default then switch to single in a console
13 > tho. That would be using the "rc single" command. I used to have
14 > another runlevel that I created myself but I removed it a good while
15 > back when I got boot set up like I wanted. It appears that openrc has
16 > not been told what softlevel is. I do see where it is passed on to the
17 > OS from grub during the boot process tho.
18
19 OK, it is clear then that (some?) of the gentoo runlevels called with the
20 softlevel incantation do not work as they used to with baselayout 1. I just
21 tried softlevel=single and it definitely didn't work. Also,
22 softlevel=sysinit, didn't work. However, softlevel=nonetwork *did* work ...
23 well, sort of. It mounted everything, then started devices including my
24 network card (I have enabled rc_hotplugging devices in /etc/rc.conf so this
25 may have something to do with it) and then it stopped before starting things
26 like iptables, local, etc.
27
28 Sure enough I had an IP address and was able to connect to the world ...
29 albeit without iptables running (not sure I would have a use case for this
30 scenario).
31
32 I'm not sure if setting rc_hotplug made this messy, but from
33
34 $ ls -la /etc/runlevels/
35 total 32
36 drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 May 2 10:54 .
37 drwxr-xr-x 88 root root 4096 May 16 21:11 ..
38 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 2 10:54 boot
39 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 15 20:01 default
40 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 21 2010 nonetwork
41 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 2 10:54 shutdown
42 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 21 2010 single
43 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 2 10:54 sysinit
44
45 single and sysinit are ignored (runlevel 3 comes up).
48 > > I think that nox brings you all the way up to runlevel 3, not runlevel 1.
49 >
50 > I have used nox before on a CD. The reason I like to use the ones I
51 > already have is that I already know exactly what is running and what is
52 > not. When I boot to single by adding "rw single" to the end of the boot
53 > line, I still have to start some services to get where I want to be.
54 > Being able to boot to the boot runlevel is much better since I have some
55 > things already set to start. Openrc doesn't mount things listed in
56 > fstab such as /home/ portage and /var which are separate partitions.
57
58 I wouldn't expect it to mount anything other than / under single.
61 > >> The thing is, I do use them which is why I went to the trouble of
62 > >> setting them up to begin with. I actually use them pretty regular.
63 > >> Just because others don't use them doesn't mean that I don't or
64 > >> shouldn't.
65
66 In that case you probably need runlevel 3, but just with nox?
69 > > The definitive answer is that the gentoo "single" softlevel does not
70 > > work. The Linux standard "single" or "S" or "1" runlevel works fine (but
71 > > I can't recall if I tried "1" recently).
72 > >
73 > > So the question remains what is happening with other softlevels if you
74 > > care to create them.
75 >
76 > I'm beginning to think that openrc goes back to the "old" Linux way. In
77 > other words, it uses the init levels instead of softlevels.
78
79 Yes, this seems to be the case, although not in a clear way (otherwise why is
80 softlevel=nonetwork working?)
83 > The only
84 > thing that makes me think that is not true, init=runlevel doesn't work
85 > either. I suspect that init=/bin/bash would work but not tested yet.
86
87 init="/bin/bash" works. You log in as root user without passwd. Only the /
88 fs is mounted as rw. Everything else is a manual job and you must run sync
89 after you make any changes, or your fs may not forgive you.
92 > I
93 > have this in inittab:
94 >
95 > l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
96 > l0s:0:wait:/sbin/halt -dhp
97 > l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
98 > l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
99 > l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
100 > l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
101 > l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
102 > l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
103 > l6r:6:wait:/sbin/reboot -dk
104
105 If you append any number from above, like 1, or 2, or 3, etc. to the kernel
106 line it will work.
109 > I assume I could edit that to look like this:
110 >
111 > l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
112 > l0s:0:wait:/sbin/halt -dhp
113 > l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
114 > l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc boot
115 > l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
116 > l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
117 > l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
118 > l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
119 > l6r:6:wait:/sbin/reboot -dk
120 > #z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
121 >
122 > The only problem with that is that there are more runlevel options than
123 > there are lines there for me to add.
124
125 I am not sure that you are meant to edit this manually. I thought that if you
126 want another runlevel you are meant to add this using rc-update and then add
127 the services via symlinks in /etc/runlevels/<my_runlevel_name>/
130 > Even tho I can sort of get to what I want, I still want to get the new
131 > way sorted so that I can get the doc team to update the docs. If this
132 > has been overlooked, then it may be that the devs will have to add this
133 > feature or make other changes so that this is doable.
134 >
135 > I also posted on the forums. They are equally stumped. I am beginning
136 > to think this was over looked somehow.
137
138 Please let us know what's the new way to do this once it settles.
141 Regards,
142 Mick