From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0 and oldconfig
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:46:00
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 July 2011 19:13:27 Dale wrote:
5 >> I'm not sure it is the nic tho. It downloads just fine when emerge is
6 >> fetching files. I'm not saying it isn't tho. I really don't know what
7 >> it is. I'm also keeping in mind that the nic is built onto my mobo. I
8 >> have never had good luck with a built in nic. On my old rig, it never
9 >> worked right. That's why it has cards in it too.
10 >>
11 > I had a nasty experience with a network device a few months ago. It wasn't a
12 > NIC this time but a WAP, which when it went faulty managed to wipe out half
13 > of the USB disk to which I was backing up the machine the WAP was connected
14 > to. Much repeated backing-up of several boxes was required to re-establish
15 > the status quo.
16 >
17 > Just goes to show that hardware failures can do some weird things.
18 >
19 > (Pick the bones out of that, Volker. Preferably without gratuitous
20 > offensiveness.)
24 My old rig gave me some weird errors too. I can't recall what they were
25 tho. I'm sure it is on the forums somewhere around mid to late 2003 or
26 2004 if I recall. I don't think I had that old rig to long when it went
27 to acting all funny and such.
28
29 Yep, hardware can be weird. I don't think mine is memory or anything
30 but I'm only 99% sure. I'm leaving myself 1% to crawl out if needed.
31 lol I can't say it isn't anything right now since I don't know what it
32 is. That's the thing about puters, you can't rule out anything unless
33 you can replace it and the problem goes away. Unfortunately I can't do
34 that with CPU, ram and mobo or even the video card. Then again, I do
35 have two ATI video cards. I'm to chicken to try them tho. I have no
36 idea how to get a ATI card working.
37
38 I'm going to check into this nic tho. I used to have a couple extras
39 around here somewhere.
40
41 Dale
42