From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:32:13
1 On Saturday 12 Aug 2017 09:05:10 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-08-12 17:39, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
3 > > (5). Postinst message for alsa-utils:
4 > > pkg_postinst() {
5 > > if [[ -z ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]; then
6 > > elog
7 > > elog "To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of"
8 > > elog "saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should"
9 > > elog "add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as"
10 > > elog "root like so:"
11 > > elog "# rc-update add alsasound boot"
12 > > ewarn
13 > > ewarn "The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through
14 > > other" ewarn "means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in
15 > > alsa-utils."
16 > I don't get this last part.
17 >
18 > My ALSA is built as modules, including the core (I'm guessing that means
19 > snd.ko, right?). I don't do anything particular to load them, they're
20 > not listed in /etc/conf.d/modules. Yet the mixer save and restore via
21 > alsasound works.
22 >
23 > Could it be that alsasound itself loads the modules on demand, and the
24 > warning above is misleading?
25
26 Did you run alsactl init to see if the alsa modules are probed and loaded
27 without errors?
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick