From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Using both Gnome and KDE Plasma?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 02:42:18
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 25/01/18 02:28, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 01:16:07 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> One user wants Gnome, the other wants Plasma. Is this doable?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Currently, Plasma is installed, and the profile is:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
11 >>>>
12 >>>> The profiles seem to be either-or. There's one for plasma, one for
13 >>>> gnome. But I need both now :-/
14 >>>
15 >>> The differences between the profiles are mainly the USE flags set. As
16 >>> your system is already built with the plasma profiles, I'd add gnome to
17 >>> your USE flags and emerge gnome-base/gnome. Portage will shout at you if
18 >>> you need to enable any other USE flags.
19 >>
20 >> Don't know. There's use flags that seem to be set because it's
21 >> recommended to set them, not because they're needed.
22 >>
23 >> It seems to me that I have to choose either-or here in order to have a
24 >> well working desktop. Otherwise, if something doesn't seem work right,
25 >> I'll never know whether it's because of the profile or because of
26 >> something else.
27 >>
28 >> I suppose I have to switch to the gnome profile and then see if KDE is
29 >> still working as before. But it seems I'll have to manually replicate
30 >> whatever the plasma profile is setting by hand.
36 > This is what I would do. I would make sure emerge -uDNp world comes
37 > back clean, no remerges or updates. Change profile to generic desktop.
38 > Do a emerge -DNp world and look at what changes, especially USE flags.
39 > Take those changes and set them in make.conf or package.use if you
40 > prefer. Since both KDE and Gnome has their own desktop profile, using
41 > the generic profile I think would be the best bet. You just may have to
42 > set some things in make.conf/package.use to add KDE and Gnome settings
43 > to have both installed at the same time.
46 Yes, this works and I've done it, which is why I recommended it.
47
48 Cheers,
49 R0b0t1