From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo installation, network adapter not supported
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 10:11:33
1 On 3 July 2013, at 17:28, Zind wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Use an external network adapter, uh... I never thought of that.
4 > AFAIK, many USB netwok adapters won't work correctly with Linux.
5
6 My experience has been the opposite, that even the cheapest USB network adaptors have worked.
7
8 Maybe I've just been lucky and this is not the norm, but from what I've seen "USB network adapters don't work with Linux" is the sort of thing that might have been true 10 years ago.
9
10 > Previously, I bought a Mercury MW300U USB network adapter, unfortunately,
11 > it doesn't work properly with Ubuntu 12.04. Then, that USB network adapter
12 > was left in the corner of my room. :-(
13
14 Again, based on my experience, I might be wrong, the only thing I can guess is that this USB NIC featured a very recent chipset at the time Ubuntu 12.04 was packaged or released.
15
16 >> 2. For each emerge command in the installation guide, run `emerge -fp
17 >> package-name` first, and redirect the output into a textfile.
18 >
19 > IIRC, the LiveUSB is a read-only file system. So, I'm afraid that I could
20 > not redirect the required package information to a text file.
21
22 Well, the LiveUSB is a read-only file system, but you're installing Gentoo onto some kind of writable filesystem - an SSD or hard-disk.
23
24 When I say "for each emerge command in the installation guide", these are the commands which compile packages and save the files on the hard-disk. So as a temporary measure you could save the textfile in the root directory of the new install; the computer probably supports USB flash-drives, which you can write to from the LiveCD - use another tmux window or virtual terminal if necessary.
25
26 Gentoo installation is really flexible - the whole process is basically about writing a bunch of files to the hard-drive. With an appreciation of that, it doesn't matter how you get those files on the hard-disk - you can use any alternate way you can think of.
27
28 Stroller.