From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel GMA 4500MHD
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:15:31
1 On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 19:54 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
2 > My experience matches this. If I try to run composite rendering, X
3 > eats my CPU time to the point that I can't even use the system for
4 > practical purposes.
5 >
6 > I have a 945GM Intel video card.
7 >
8 > I had tried compiz-fusion through kde3 last year, but the performance
9 > was much to jittery and slow, so I removed it. I tried to upgrade to
10 > kde4 this week, but again X was eating CPU time and making the whole
11 > machine run hot and slow. I can't be 100% sure it was the video card
12 > and composite rendering, but I believe it was the problem. So I
13 > switched to xfce and now I'm happy.
14 >
15 > So, if you want to run 3D graphics and composite rendering, maybe not
16 > intel?
19 I also have this GPU.
20
21 I have 3 machines with Intel graphics that I run compositing on with
22 compiz and they run fine. Like I said so long as you disable the blur
23 plugin in compiz it's pretty solid. Actually, recently I installed KDE4
24 on a VM and ran KDE through XDMCP with all the compositing effects
25 turned on and it ran smoothly as well.
26
27 The "X was eating CPU" seems to indicate that it's not the GPU that's
28 doing the 3D rendering but the CPU. Now if you got slow performance yet
29 your CPU was sitting there doing nothing then I'd suspect the Intel
30 Graphics.