From: commo_puke@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:43:10
1 Xfce4 or fluxbox with some tweaking
2 ------Original Message------
3 From: meino.cramer@×××.de
4 To: Gentoo
5 ReplyTo: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
7 Sent: Sep 12, 2009 8:40 AM
10 Hi,
11
12 for a long time I used IceWM as my windowmanager since I dont
13 want to mimicry other OSses (...) or want session management.
14 One thing, which is a must-have of windowmanagers I want to use
15 is the possibility to control the windowmanager nearly completly
16 with the keyboard (hotkeys configurable) which does *not*
17 imply "uncontrollable by mouse" ;)
18 Furthermore I should not be a hana-bi or anything else eye-candy
19 like (nothing against hana-bi as hana-bi!) -- most of the time
20 I will use the windowmanager instead of only looking at it -- which
21 does not imply: "black anmd white ugly ascii thingy".
22
23 Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
24 a replacement which should
25 -- be widely configurable via ascii files
26 -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
27 -- be also useable with the mouse
28 -- no eye-candy
29 -- not ugly
30 -- NOT tiling
31 -- FAST!
32
33 I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
34 what windowmanagers.
35
36 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
37 Best regards and have a nice weekend!
38 Meino Cramer
44 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
45 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
46 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
47 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.
52 Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel