From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 17:58:06
1 On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:49 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1/5/21 3:04 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 1 May 2021 01:24:23 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
7 > >> coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
8 > >> management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
9 > >> where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
10 > >> ~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
11 > >> startup (open system settings and look for session).
12 > >
13 > > Did you try adding Wireshark to the Don't restore these applications
14 list
15 > > in System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session?
19 > Ha, the problem is back, dolphins everywhere. The problem seems to be,
20 > for me at least, that when I close Dolphin after doing a bit of
21 > file/folder stuff that the GUI shuts down but some zombie part remains.
22 > Just now, when I fired the machine up, I had three instances of Dolphin
23 > running. I closed all three, little red button top right hand corner and
24 > did a:
25 >
26 > ps -A | grep dolphin | wc -l
27 >
28 > Sure enough 3 zombies. Open Dolphin, do some "stuff", close Dolphin, do
29 > the "ps" command above and I' ve now got 4 zombies. Do this a couple of
30 > more times and I now have 8 - 9 zombies.
31 >
32 > Clean out ~/.config/session, ie it's now empty, and shut the
33 machine
34 > down. Restart machine and hey presto, 8 - 9 Dolphins up and running and
35 > ~/.config/session contains 8 - 9 Dolphin "restart config", or whatever
36 > they are called, files.
37 >
38 > I think it is time to head over to some KDE forum and ask
39 questions there.
40 >
41 > Andrew
44 Being that you're most probably running Gentoo I would ask what your
45 flag/build options might be? If you're like so many people here you
46 probably aren't running a completely stable build. Possibly some flag
47 is contributing to this problem? In a standard KDE forum where most
48 folks will (like me) just be running a standard distro (like me - Kubuntu)
49 they will (like me) tell you they don't see the problem...
50
51 - Mark
52
53 - Mark