From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would a Thinkpad X200 be too much trouble too run gentoo on?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:34:38
1 Am Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 01:10:46PM +0000 schrieb spareproject776:
2 > On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 03:49:24PM +0300, Dex Conner wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > So I've found a Thinkpad X200 online and I'm thinking of buying it for
6 > > libreboot purposes. Do you think the P8600 cpu can handle all the
7 > > compiling on gentoo? For the record, I don't have any of the "big stuff"
8 > > like KDE, GNOME, Firefox (all I have is Tor Browser [which I don't
9 > > compile], dwl and some terminal programs like neomutt and profanity).
10 > > Surely, I wouldn't be spending 5 hours to do small upgrades,
11 > > right?..right?
12 > >
13 > > Thank you
14 > > --
15 > > Dex
16 >
17 > libreboot cant microcode updates, pretty much all dead now
18 >
19 > ie cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
20
21 I actually disable all the mitigations on my machines. Those issues are
22 mostly relevant for shared hosters and cloud providers which require tight
23 isolation of their processes. For a personal machine at home, those
24 scenarios are mostly irrelevant, unless you click on every link you
25 encounter. I prefer performance. Besides, could it be possible that the
26 P8600 isn’t even vulnerable to Spectre & co, being so old?
27
28 @Topic: I‘ve been migrating my X250 (Broadwell i5, 2/4 threads) away from
29 Gentoo because build times kept creeping up. If you want to play and
30 experiment and do upgrades only once in a while, go for it. But I’d also
31 recommend binary packages and/or using distcc. Back in the day I had Gentoo
32 running on a puny netbook with Atom N450 (1/2 threads, with a quarter of the
33 P8600’s single-thread performance) and 2 Gigs of RAM, so packages were
34 usually built on a beefier machine. I even built firefox on it once just for
35 giggles, it took a day to build. But didn’t start any faster. I’ve been
36 using bin packages whenever possible anyway, as I didn’t see any advantage
37 over the effort.
40 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
41 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
42
43 Why don’t shepherds fall asleep during inventory-taking?