From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:36:55
1 On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:09:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >> I would seek a refund for the MSWindows OS that it comes preinstalled
6 >> with. (This is a blatant case of software bundling with their products
7 >> and the refusal to cough up a refund when requested remains
8 >> incompatible with European Directive 2005/29/EC. Court test cases in
9 >> France and Belgium have validated this and big boys like Dell are now
10 >> more cautious when confronted by informed consumers assertively
11 >> requesting refunds.)
12 >
13 > The XPS 13 at least is available as a "Developer Edition" that comes with
14 > Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead of Windows.
15
16 I "dual boot" windows and gentoo. The quotes are there since my current
17 machine (3 years old) has never been in windows post-installation. The
18 advantage of having windows available occurs if you need dell
19 maintenance. At least in the past they are much more comfortable with
20 windows.
21
22 allan
23
24 PS Also ,I keep thinking I will install and play diablo, a game I played
25 about 5 years ago :-)