From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 22:48:10
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 06:10:19PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> I've tried external drives connected by USB before and hated them.  Slow
5 >> when they do work and buggy at that.
6 > Theoretically, HDDs are not able to saturate USB 3. And from my observation,
7 > I do get their maximum performance – my 2.5″ 1 TB WD delivers about 80-90 MB/s
8 > read speed and said Intenso/Seagate 3.5″ gives me up to around 140 MB/s tops.
9 > I used dstat to gather those numbers.
10
11 I think all my USB ports are USB2.  It's slower.  What you post above is
12 about what I get on my external eSATA.  If I were using USB3, things may
13 be different.  Maybe.  ;-)
16 >> I've had more drives go bad when using USB enclosures than I've ever had
17 >> on IDE or (e)SATA.
18 > Interesting, I can’t really confirm such a correlation from the drives I
19 > have lying around. And I don’t see how USB can cause damage to a drive.
20 > Except for physical impacts owing to the fact that USB drives are easily
21 > moved around.
24 Those particular drives sat on the desk next to my computer.  They
25 rarely moved.  Heck, I rarely unplugged them.  Just turn them off when
26 done.
29 >> I've had two drives fail after years of service that were IDE or SATA.  I
30 >> have three drives that are bricks and all of them were in USB enclosures
31 >> and far young to die.
32 > Perhaps they became too hot during operation. Enclosures don’t usually
33 > account for thermals. Didn’t you mention you lived in a hot area?
36 Every enclosure I buy has a fan.  The enclosures were pretty well built
37 as far as the case goes.
40 >> I paid more for eSATA external enclosures and have had no
41 >> problems with drives going dead yet.  All of them have far surpassed the
42 >> drives in the USB enclosures.
43 > Hm... bad (in the sense of cheap) USB controllers on the mobo or the
44 > enclosures? Or bad USB cables? What kind of HDD death are we talking about?
45 > Certainly not bad sectors, right?
48 After a while I'd start getting errors and it would either remount ro or
49 just unmount completely.  After a while, the drives wouldn't respond at
50 all.  They spin up but it's as if they are not connected with the data
51 cable.  Eventually, I plugged them into my computer as SATA drives.
52 They still wouldn't show up.  It was as if they were not there.  They
53 did spin up tho.
54
55 >> I think my drives are either Seagate or WD.  I tend to stick with those
56 >> two, unless it is a really awesome deal.
57 > Yea. First the SMR fiasco became public and then there was some other PR
58 > stunt they did that I can’t remember right now, and I said “I can’t buy WD
59 > anymore”. But there is no real alternative these days. And CMR drives are
60 > becoming ever rarer, especially in the 2.5″ realm. Except for one single
61 > seagate model, there isn’t even a bare SATA drive above 2 TB available on
62 > the market! Everything above that size is external USB stuff. And those
63 > disks don’t come with standard SATA connectors anymore, but have the USB
64 > socket soldered onto their PCB.
67 I bought a SMR before I was aware of the problems with them.  It's just
68 a backup drive but I still have to wait for it to stop bumping before I
69 power it off.  Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, sometimes it bumps
70 for a while.  The CMR I use as a backup drive, different data, is
71 smaller.  It doesn't do that so I can unhook it right after it finishes.
72 >> I've never updated the firmware on a drive before.
73 > Me neither. I think I updated an SSD once.
76 I've never had a SSD.  Thinking about it tho.
77
78 Hmmm, just realized I didn't do my usual Sunday updates and backups.
79 Ooooops.  :/
80
81 Dale
82