From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 04:11:24
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Friday, August 21, 2020 11:37 PM, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > SMTP may not be the best, but I do think that it has some merits.
5 > Merits that the previously mentioned HTTP/2 alternative misses.
6
7 not a major point but just to clarify a thing.
8
9 i think it's unfair to look at SMTP as a single
10 thing that compares against HTTP*. because while
11 HTTP* is a single-ish thing, SMTP is several
12 things. i.e. SMTP is at least 2 parts:
13
14 1. resource exchange layer where people are
15 defined as some kind of URL (e.g.
16 name@×××.zone) and attachments are base64-ed
17 text balls referred to by some numbers in
18 RFC822. This part overlaps with HTTP*. let's
19 call this "RESXCH_SERVER".
20
21 2. the part where it defines how to process
22 the exchanged resources (e.g. safe storage,
23 routing, etc). this part is beyond HTTP*'s
24 scope, and is the "web app" scope. let's call
25 this "RESUSE_SERVER"
26
27 of course, email still doesn't work with those 2
28 parts, because you need a way to get mails to your
29 email client, so you end up using POP or IMAP.
30 now, this --itself-- is also two parts:
31
32 1. resource exchange layer to send resources to
33 users. which also overlaps with HTTP* (again).
34 let's call this "RESXCH_CLIENT".
35
36 2. the part where it defines how the mail client
37 to treat the resources. let's call this
38 "RESUSE_CLIENT".
41 > Why add an additional protocol to the stack?
42 >
43 > TCP / SMTP is two layers.
44 >
45 > TCP / HTTP / $Email-protocol-de-jure is three layers.
46 >
47 > UDP / HTTP / $Email-protocol-de-jusre is three layers.
48 >
49 > Why introduce an additional layer?
50
51 i disagree. i think this is more like it about
52 the current email system:
53
54 RESXCH_SERVER / RESUSE_SERVER / RESXCH_CLIENT / RESUSE_CLIENT
55
56 it's 4 different layers to exchange mail between
57 people.
58
59 but if we plug HTTP* in the mix, it because only 3
60 different layers:
61
62 HTTP* / RESUSE_SERVER / HTTP* / RESUSE_CLIENT
63
64 and it is even nicer for when HTTP* is plugged,
65 because it is also the protocol used for most of
66 internet's traffic (web browsing).
67
68 so basically total expected number of
69 protocols/layers used in the universe, per second,
70 will be much less if we, on planet earth, use a
71 mail system that uses HTTP* instead of RESXCH_*.