From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge --sync
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:56:40
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> But a more elegant solution is to emerge app-admin/gentoo-rsync-mirror and
5 >> setup your own rsync mirror.
8 > Sure, but it seems kind of overkill.
11 It really depends on your situation.
12
13 I run Gentoo containers and I typically just bind mount /usr/portage
14 and distfiles from the host, and that works just fine. When I was
15 running Gentoo VMs I had rsync running on a Gentoo box and just shared
16 out /usr/portage and put it at the front of my mirror list (I also
17 shared distfiles via http I believe). If you already have the
18 services installed it is pretty trivial to set up either and it will
19 speed things up.
20
21 People will go even further if they have large number of Gentoo boxes
22 and run their own repositories that isn't live-synced with Gentoo's,
23 allowing for a testing/release cycle.
24
25 In general though portage will figure out if any packages moved in the
26 repo no matter how you sync it.
29 Rich