From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4 versions of binutils: requesting confirmation for eselect set
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 07:46:29
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 15.04.2019 kell 10:40, kirjutas allan gottlieb:
2 > On one of my machines I see
3 >
4 > gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ eselect binutils list
5 > [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.28.1 *
6 > [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.29.1
7 > [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.30
8 > [4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.31.1
9 >
10 > But I also see
11 >
12 > gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ eix -I -e binutils
13 > [?] sys-devel/binutils
14 > ...
15 > (2.28.1) [M]2.28.1
16 > (2.29.1) [M]2.29.1-r1
17 > (2.30) 2.30-r4
18 > (2.31) 2.31.1-r4 ~2.31.1-r5
19 > ...
20 >
21 > So I am using a masked version of binutils, which seems bad.
22 >
23 > I presume I should do
24 > eselect binutils set 4
25 >
26 > I am asking for confirmation since I realize breaking binutils
27 > is not fun.
28
29 Yes, you should be using a newer version. I suggest reviewing your gcc-
30 config as well; changing that may involve some migration (especially if
31 very old version by now) or some specific rebuild needs. But binutils
32 is generally an easy fire and forget switchover.
33
34 After a bigger binutils or gcc upgrade (typically different
35 major.minor) you should usually actually switch to it as well, and if
36 everything worked out good, you can depclean the older versions (or
37 keep 1-2 around for safety; or more if you actually need to test older
38 GCC for some own programming work).
41 Best,
42 Mart