From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 13:58:50
1 Hello, Gentooers:
2
3 I have a new Dell 17 5759 with core i5-6200U skylake cpu on which I'm
4 trying to dual boot windows 10 and gentoo. All the rest of my gentoo
5 hardware is much older, so this new laptop introduces 2 technologies new to
6 me: uefi and 64 bit kernels.
7
8 I installed gentoo using the x86 handbook and a recent sysrescuecd usb
9 drive. The install was unremarkable except for trying to build a 64 bit
10 kernel. No matter what I do, the kernel build fails very early with the
11 message:
12
13 kernel/bounds.c:1:0 error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64
14 instruction set.
15
16 Looking at bounds.c does not enlighten me.
17
18 I've tried specifying a 64 bit kernel in various ways:
19
20 setting CONFIG_64BIT=y and CONFIG_X86_64=y via make menuconfig,
21
22 make defconfig, which claims it uses an x86_64_defconfig, and sets the 2
23 configuration variables above to "y",
24
25 and genkernel, which says it's getting arch-specific config.sh from
26 /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh, which also sets the 2 variables
27 above to "y".
28
29 So, a 64 bit sysrescuecd kernel does run on this box, and its /proc/cpuinfo
30 tells me that it does indeed have a core i5-6200U cpu which, per Google,
31 does support the x86-64 instruction set. I believe I've told the kernel
32 make system that I want a 64 bit kernel and that the cpu I want to run it
33 on supports the x86-64 instruction set. Not trusting my kernel config
34 knowledge, I've tried letting clean kernel installations produce a 64 bit
35 kernel configuration for me via make defconfig and genkernel, both of which
36 appear to be attempting 64 bit configurations. All of these attempts fail
37 the same way. I've tried all of this on gentoo-sources-4.4.6 and
38 -4.1.15-r1.
39
40 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
41
42 John Blinka