From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] whither booting into single user mode
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:32:49
1 Previously I could boot into single user mode with the following line
2 in grub
3
4 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hdc7 single
5
6 After a recent emerge sync and update of world, the above is just a
7 normal multiuser boot.
8
9 I can use
10
11 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hdc7 softlevel=single
12
13 but this is not the same as booting into single user mode. For
14 example, there are virtual terminals, and hitting ^D does not then put
15 you into multiuser mode.
16
17 I like single user mode for doing (incremental) backups each day
18 before logging in. I realize I can write "init.d scripts" and will
19 probably do so, but having an interactive shell "on the way up to"
20 full multiuser mode seems useful.
21
22 Does anyone know the current method of achieving what
23
24 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hdc7 single
25
26 use to do a few weeks ago?
27
28 Thanks,