From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Message at bootup about superblock last write time
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:20:00
1 In <news:4664D2E0.5000200@×××××.com>,
2 Ken <ken69267@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > »Q« wrote:
5 > > In <news:20070604232557.GA4548@××××××××.org>,
6 > > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> It seems that
9 > >> every time my system reboots, I get the following message...
10 > >>
11 > >> * Checking root filesystem ...
12 > >> /dev/hda1: Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED.
13 > >
14 > > I get this also. I've always thought it's because my system time is
15 > > local instead of UTC.
16 > >
17 > Sounds like clock skew. Do you use anything like ntp to set the time
18 > automatically?
19
20 Yeah, I use net-misc/getdate as a daily cron job to set the time, with
21 the -adjust option. It causes the kernel to slowly adjust the time, so
22 the clock shouldn't have any jumps.
23
24 I based my guess that using local time causes it on the fact that the
25 system clock is set using the hardware clock (local) a few seconds
26 after the Superblock last write time is fixed during boot. And it's my
27 impression that if I wait a few hours before booting (my offset from
28 UTC is -5) no problem with the Superblock write time is detected. I
29 say 'impression' because I haven't paid close attention to that.
30
31 But I'm just guessing; I don't mean to hijack Walter's thread.
34 »Q«
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list