From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MagicJack on Gentoo? (preferably PPC)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:01:58
1 On 11 Jan 2010, at 18:31, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> MagicJack is just a USB FXS and a SIP client, except that it's tied
4 >> into a
5 >> proprietary service. There are lots of companies that sell VoIP
6 >> using the
7 >> SIP standard and I would expect there are many cheaper than
8 >> MagicJack,
9 >> because they don't bundle it up in a package that's easy-to-use to
10 >> noddies
11 >> (on the other hand, MagicJack's prices may be affected by the
12 >> volume they're
13 >> able to buy).
14 >
15 > At about $1.50/month it's nothing to worry about price-wise, ...
16
17 They give you unlimited calls for that?
18
19 Or am I somehow misunderstand the service?
20
21 > ... if it is packaged well and somehow that translates into it works
22 > better or
23 > has family features like voice mail, call forwarding or other things,
24 > then I'm happy to pay the price.
25
26 You should be able to do FAR more sophisticated things than this if
27 you manage it yourself. Asterisk is, however, hugely complicated. I
28 really like the sound of Freeswitch, but haven't looked at it closely
29 yet.
30
31 Stroller.