From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:54:34
1 On Tue, June 19, 2012 1:37 am, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:24:58 -0400
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 >> Felix, did you follow any
8 >> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
9 >>
10 >> (Cripes, that's a lot of data. One drive, bigger than any of my
11 >> aggregate volumes.)
14 > Completely OT but what the heck: :-)
15 >
16 > I built a 12TB FreeNAS Storage box for the home and dared the wife to
17 > fill it with content. For purposes of illustration I told her that this
18 > was an awful lot of data - 1357 raw DVD movie rips for example.
19 >
20 > "Go for it honey!" I said thinking the myself "She will NEVER fill that,
21 > or even come close!"
22 >
23 > The joke's on me. After 6 weeks, she's halfway there ^_^
24
25 Are you sure those are all unique files?
26 Not multiple versions of the same movie? ;)
27
28 I've got a decent sized storage box as well. When building it, I already
29 planned ahead to allow additional disks to be easily added.
30 Now I need to change the layout at home, as she finds the server too noisy ;)
33 Joost