From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 01:39:40
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Thursday, August 20, 2020 11:41 AM, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Will that python script allow for the situation that the message is
5 > received, but the message was NOT safely stored for onwards transmission
6 > before the receiver crashed, and as such the message has not been
7 > SUCCESSFULLY received?
8 >
9 > SMTP has lots of things specifically meant to ensure messages survive
10 > the internet jungle on their journey ...
11
12 thanks for the point. would it suffice if we have
13 these notifications:
14
15 1. receipt by final mail server (mandatory).
16 2. receipt by end user(s) (optional).
17 3. opening by end user(s) (optional).
18
19 ?
20
21 ----
22
23 (1) is required by the server, else mail will be
24 retransmitted from source relay(s) (or client if
25 done directly). (2) is optional by final server,
26 (3) is optional by end user's client.
27
28 the job of a relay would be to optionally add some
29 metadata (e.g. maybe describing sender's role) and
30 sign the whole thing (e.g. by company's private
31 key). this way we can have group-level rules.