From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS remote printing drives me crazy
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:50:25
1 On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 16:21:14 BST Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 09/12/2018 03:55:16 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:50:36 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 > > > On one machine - called SERVER - I have a USB printer which works
5 > > > just fine with CUPS.
6 > > > I've tried to make it "shared". This printer has the name
7 > > > USB_printer.
8 > >
9 > > > On the other machine, which has no physical printer itself, I just
10 > > > want to add a remote printer which
11 > > > uses USB_printer on the SERVER.
12 > > >
13 > > > If I try to configure this remote printer, my first problem is its
14 > > > name (URL)
15 > > > I've tried ipp://SERVER:631/printers/USB_printer but when I try to
16 > > > print to it,
17 > > > I always get "printer cannot be located"
18
19 If the SERVER is a domain name, rather than an IP address, your client will
20 have to be able to resolve it. So, add it in your /etc/hosts, or use the
21 server's IP address.
24 > > > Would anybody be so kind to share (the relevant parts) of his/her
25 > > > cupsd.conf on the server as well as
26 > > > on the client?
27
28 I used to have such a set up running here, but this was the best part of 10
29 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be! ;-)
32 > > Have you allowed access to the server from the local network?
33 > > Something
34 > > like this in cupsd.conf
35 > >
36 > > # Restrict access to the server...
37 > > <Location />
38 > >
39 > > Order allow,deny
40 > > Allow localhost
41 > > Allow 192.168.1.*
42 > >
43 > > </Location>
44 >
45 > Thanks Neil,
46 >
47 > do I need this on the client machine, as well?
48 > (I do have it on the server machine)
49 >
50 > Helmut
51
52 No, you only need this on the server, BUT there's more you will have to set
53 up.
54
55 1. Set the server in cupsd.conf to be listening for connections on the IP
56 address which will be used by the client. The default is to only listen to
57 connections from localhost.
58
59 2. As Neil suggested make sure you allow PC(s) from your LAN subnet to access
60 the cups server.
61
62 3. Check your firewall on the server allows connections over the corresponding
63 protocol (port 631).
64
65 4. Use telnet/netcat/nmap to see if the client can access an open port 631 on
66 the server.
67
68 This should get you talking to the server.
69
70 Should you still have problems printing, you can thereafter troubleshoot it in
71 more detail by checking the server's cupsd logs.
72
73 Beyond simple printing you can allow access to the server's admin pages, logs
74 and what have your from the client, but you may not wish to do this for
75 security reasons.
76 --
77 Regards,
78 Mick