From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:43:32
1 Ryan Tandy wrote:
2
3 > Mike Myers wrote:
4 >
5 >> Duncan wrote
6 >>
7 >> [deleted]
8 >>
9 >> Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
10 >>
11 >> Do you know if there's a way or going to be a way to handle the split
12 >> ebuilds so that reemerging or unemerging a split ebuild will reemerge
13 >> or unemerge the corresponding packages? It seems like the ebuilds
14 >> are only intended to make installing kde easier, which they do, but
15 >> it doesn't make handle uninstalling or reinstalling a split ebuild
16 >> very easy at all. Like, if I had kde 3.4 installed and upgraded to
17 >> 3.5 and no longer need 3.4, I can't just do 'emerge -C kde-meta-3.4',
18 >> or something similar if it's the installed with the split
19 >> metapackage. Or if I just wanted to remove some split ebuild, like
20 >> say kdenetwork, but leave the rest, I couldn't do 'emerge -c
21 >> kdenetwork-meta' to uninstall the related packages.
22 >>
23 >> Basically, my concern is that how KDE is installed is quite easily
24 >> handled, but uninstalling or reinstalling is not equally as easy, at
25 >> least in some aspects.
26 >>
27 >> I hope I explain myself well enough, and thanks for your response.
28 >>
29 >> Mike
30 >
31 > Moving this to -user as requested by Richard.
32 >
33 > The meta-packages install their split ebuilds by way of depending on
34 > them. Therefore, to remove a complete set of split ebuilds, you can
35 > 'emerge -C kde-meta' (for example), and then run 'emerge depclean' to
36 > clear out the split ebuilds which are no longer depended on by
37 > anything. Remember to 'emerge -p depclean' first and conduct a sanity
38 > check.
39 >
40 > Also you could run 'equery depgraph kde-meta', and then use some grep
41 > and cut magic to grab the atoms, useful if depclean doesn't co-operate.
42 >
43 > HTH.
44
45 Thanks for moving
46
47 It seems like using the split ebuilds are only a mechanism for
48 installing packages, but they they don't include a mechanism for doing
49 anything else with the packages. Like, doing an emerge -C kde-meta
50 doesn't actually uninstall anything, or doing an emerge kde-meta if
51 kde-meta has already been installed doesn't reinstall anything at all.
52 Clearly, reinstalling or uninstalling those packages can be done one way
53 or another, I don't understand why reemerging or uninstalling (while not
54 all that complicated) is somewhat more involved than other packages. Is
55 anything planned to address this? Or are split ebuilds going to be left
56 that way?
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list