From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:22:42
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 09:33:30PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:07:37 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > But I really meant what functionality udev has that mdev lacks. For
7 > > example, mdev this morning recognised my USB stick being inserted, and
8 > > created /dev/sdc for it.
9
10 > udev does a *lot* more than that, for example the persistent naming of
11 > network interfaces. More significantly, it can run programs based on
12 > device rules.
13
14 This is where I start getting unhappy. Is there any need for this
15 blurring? Having device nodes is essential to a linux system, and
16 some programs use these nodes. Why must they be mashed together into a
17 tasteless mush? Is there some advantage to this I haven't twigged yet?
18
19 > For example, usb_modeswitch installs a udev rule to switch a 3G USB
20 > modem from CD to modem mode, without which it won't work.
21
22 Same question as above: why does that switching have to be done via the
23 device node system rather than via the driver. Isn't that what drivers
24 are for?
25
26 > That's fine when you plug it into a running system, but when you boot
27 > with it plugged in, it can trip over itself because the usb_modeswitch
28 > executable is in /usr/sbin.
29
30 Er, that's a different discussion altogether. ;-)
31
32 > You could use this to argue that /usr should be mounted before udev is
33 > started, but you could just as well use it to argue that udev should not
34 > be trying to run such rules at the boot runlevel.
35
36 Or that udev shouldn't have "rules". I still don't understand the basic
37 concept driving this thing. My HDDs don't need rules - they just need a
38 mapping from /dev/sd[ab] into device 8/0 and 8/16, and the appropriate
39 drivers built into my kernel.
40
41 Am I being stupid? Despite your example above, I still don't see what
42 udev is about, why it's necessary, or even why it's advantageous.
43
44 > --
45 > Neil Bothwick
48 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).