From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Emerge Isssue Now!
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 03:56:29
1 On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 15:00 -0700, James Ausmus wrote:
2 > On 5/3/06, Christopher E <sensory.access@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > # Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
4 > > domain hsd1.ma.comcast.net.
5 > > nameserver 68.87.71.226
6 > > nameserver 68.87.73.242
9 > Aha! You're on Comcast!
10 >
11 > I also have Comcast, and occasionally I have issues where their DNS
12 > servers will give me the wrong IP for a domain name (happens when
13 > their automated "You must register to use our system" system gets
14 > funked up and forgets that I'm a legitimate user) - I get their
15 > "Please contact us to sign up" redirected page instead. So, try
16 > copying the URL that emerge is trying to grab, paste it into your
17 > regular web browser, and see what comes up. If it comes up with a file
18 > download, then just save that file into /usr/portage/distfiles and
19 > then that particular emerge should be fine (but you will still
20 > apparently have a larger issue). If it comes up with the Comcast
21 > stupidity web page, then you know where your issue lays. I haven't
22 > even attempted to talk with Comcast tech support about it, as what
23 > they'll say is "You're using a router? You're running Linux? That
24 > configuration isn't support, hook a Windows box directly up to the
25 > cable modem and it should work fine". The way I personally resolved it
26 > was to use non-Comcast DNS server settings...
27 >
28 > HTH-
29 >
30 > James
33 I had to deal with something similar when I was using CableOne. I
34 registered my router once and never had problems with it again
35 afterward, aside from the fact that they charged me $99USD a month for a
36 static IP.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list