From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:12:05
1 -original message-
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
3 From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
4 Date: 2011-07-04 23:30
5
6 >> How do you know it's the motherboard and not the PSU for instance?
7 >
8 >You're right, but I want HDMI and USB 3.0 so I figure I may as well
9 >switch the motherboard and then the PSU if the problem doesn't
10 >disappear.
11 >
12 >>> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
13 >>> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea. The system is for
14 >>
15 >> HDMI is available on most (all?) modern graphics cards, not sure if
16 >> built-ins have them though... USB 3 cards are also available.
17 >
18 >Yeah, a video card and USB card would cost roughly the same as a new
19 >motherboard and the video card would be a new source of heat and/or
20 >noise.
21 >
22 >>> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever. If you're familiar
23 >>
24 >> Sounds like you want a "htpc" setup.
25 >
26 >I guess. Gentoo has been playing my music, movies, and TV for many
27 >years now. I use a wireless keyboard from the couch. Just a normal
28 >xfce4 desktop. It's great.
29 >
30 >>> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
31 >>> as a motherboard and other components? Any features a Gentoo'er
32 >>> should look for?
33 >>
34 >> Decide roughly (Intel/AMD chipsets, features, expansion capabilities
35 >> etc.) on what motherboard you want and compare reviews of it...
36 >
37 >I'm reading that ASUS and Gigabyte are the way to go for reliability.
38
39 Not in my country; I've seen waaay too many Asus mobo's died mysteriously, with or without fanfare.
40
41 Then again, Asus might've specifically targeted lower-quality mobo's for my country *sigh*
42
43 But I have heard nothing but praise re: Gigabyte mobo's.
44
45 >> I know others swear by Nvidia graphics but personally I will not touch
46 >> them (not for chipsets either due to lackluster/no open driver linux
47 >> support)... it's AMD (formerly ATI) for me (just don't buy the latest,
48 >> greatest unless you want to wait for open driver support, even though
49 >
50 >Yeah I'm a little worried about that with the motherboard. If
51 >necessary I can keep limping along with my current motherboard while I
52 >wait for drivers for the new one.
53
54 Or, don't aim for the moon, and just buy last quarter's best (or 2nd best) graphics card :)
55
56 Unless you want to play a 60fps 3D-enabled game on a 1080p display, I think yesteryear's best cards are already A-OK.
57
58 Rgds,
59 --
60 FdS Pandu E Poluan