From: Lee <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which tool to diagnose wireless connection problem?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:56:40
1 On Oct 11, 2012 10:25 AM, "Chris Stankevitz" <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I never really understood wireless in linux, it has always "just
7 > worked". I use wicd although I don't really even know what that
8 > means. I have no clue what is a wpa supplicant, ndis, etc.
9 >
10 > I now have a problem. Please point me toward the tools I should use
11 > to diagnose and fix the problem. I tried to fix this problem by
12 > running wicd-client from the command line hoping to see some stderr
13 > messages to help diagnose, but no luck. Also dmesg is not helpful.
14 >
15 > Problem:
16 >
17 > I used a linksys router for years. It appeared as a single SSID that
18 > I connected to. Configured with wicd-client. Everything worked great
19 > under gentoo.
20 >
21 > I throw away the linksys and purchase a new "apple airport express".
22 > This router works fine with my apple machines. On gentoo, wicd-client
23 > shows two SSIDs with identical names for this one router! One is on
24 > "channel 11" and one is on "channel 157". Not sure this matters. I
25 > specify my password for both of them and specify one of them to
26 > "connect automatically". The connection with one (or both?) of the
27 > SSIDs stays live for 5-10 minutes, then disconnects. I can get it to
28 > reconnect by simply opening wicd-client, highlighting one of the two
29 > SSIDs, and clicking connect. Repeat every 5-10 minutes.
30 >
31 > Question: What tools or logs can I use to understand why my wireless
32 > connection disconnects every 5-10 minutes?
33 >
34 > FYI this is what dmesg says during one of these disconnect/reconnect
35 cycles:
36
37 ...snip
38
39 Personally, I stay away from any h/w that has the name apple on it. Why not
40 another linksys? Just my .02.