From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3B - cdrado without root privileges [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:00:11
1 Thank you all for your help.
2
3 I was just a little confused about the message, because as holly said
4 k3b works fine even with this message.
5
6 Holly Bostick schrieb:
7 > Daniel Pielmeier schreef:
8 >
9 >>Hello,
10 >>
11 >>i recently installed K3B.
12 >>
13 >>When i start the application a window pops up and says something like
14 >> "cdrdao will run without root privileges, use k3b-setup to solve
15 >>this problem".
16 >>
17 >>The problem is on my system there is no such setup-tool.
18 >>
19 >>I have Gnome installed but no KDE, is the K3B-setup only available
20 >>when i use KDE.
23 > Yes. Or rather, that tool is only available when you enable the "kde"
24 > USE flag when emerging K3b.
25 >
26 > So if you installed with it disabled, you don't have it.
27 >
28 > But you don't need it, for two reasons:
29 >
30 > 1) that message is in error. I get it all the time (every time I run
31 > K3b, which I also compiled without the kde USE flag), and K3b works just
32 > fine. The problem seems to be a combination of a) changes to cdrdao,
33 > which formerly required the sticky bit set to run as a non root user.
34 > This is no longer the case, but b) k3b which was supposed to have been
35 > updated to suppress this message, seems to have not been so repaired, so
36 > it's living in the past.
37 >
38 > 2) If you really do need for whatever reason to set the sticky bit on
39 > cdrdao, you are perfectly capable of opening a root filemanager,
40 > selecting the cdrdao binary and re-setting the permissions manually.
41 >
42 > So relax. Everything is, afaik, all right.
43 >
44 > HTH,
45 > Holly
46 --