From: "Tibdixious
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Badges
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 07:50:28
1 Walter Dnes [mailto:waltdnes@××××××××.org] Sent: Friday, 5 August 2005
2 11:41 PM
3 > Even with that background, my transition to Gentoo wasn't 100%
4 smooth.
5 >If I had tried jumping from Windows direct to Gentoo, without 4+ years
6 >of linux usage, I would've been lost.
7
8 I think you are assuming that a Gentoo user would leap right in
9 to use all of Gentoo's features, which is not necessarily the case.
10
11 I've worked on VMS for 20 years (so the command line is not unusual),
12 and done a few years of C programming on Tru64 Unix, and some trivial
13 user admin (before even the shadow idea came along), and all this was
14 more than 10 years ago. I've been on windows for the last 5 years,
15 telneting to a VMS box to do work.
16
17 I followed the AMD64 installation guide carefully, and the only thing
18 that I fell over on was that the live CD makes the drive it is in
19 the main drive, while after you boot off the hard drive, the CD
20 drives may be in a different order. I thought my drive was broken,
21 and had to manually frig with fstab, which I would have preferred
22 not to do.
23
24 The guide also implies that if you use genkernel, it will be just
25 like the live CD boot, and either I stuffed that up or its lying.
26
27 Anyway, at the moment I'm just playing KDE games.
28
29 I also put the "power ride" badge on my Windows desktop at work.
30
31 Oh, I also had SUSE briefly on the system, nice graphical installation,
32 reiserfs kept failing fsck spuriously, finally booted,
33 changed the root password, would not boot again, would not let
34 me logon as root. Anyway, did not learn anything. During the Gentoo
35 install I learned heaps.
36
37 P.S. Setting up GRUB was by far the easiest part.
38 --
39 daiajo@×××××××××××.au Contra Valere
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list