From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multi-services box
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:20:44
1 I'll echo what *A. Khattri* said. I run one server, it functions as a
2 router, web, ftp, LAN portage mirror (thanks http-replicator!), DNS proxy
3 (dnsmasq), pop3(ssl), imap(ssl), smtp, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and VNC server, in
4 addition to Xorg. Runs just fine. But it's also an Athlon XP 2400+ (2ghz,
5 133 mhz fsb * 15 multiplier), 1gb of RAM (PC2100 DDR), and an old, faulty
6 40gb hard drive (faulty in the respect that it reports the speed as UDMA44
7 to the BIOS, when in fact there is no such standard and it should be UDMA66,
8 but that's easily fixed with hdparm). The real bottleneck on my server is my
9 cable modem, with only 384kbps upstream (4mbps downstream though).
10
11 But I digress. As long as the server can handle it, there shouldn't be any
12 problems, and in some cases, it might turn out better, and the programs can
13 then use sockets instead of ports to communicate with each other (which
14 would be the case of a web server with a seperate database server).
15