From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange dmesg output - RESOLVED
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:51:18
1 On Monday 09 November 2009 11:07:15 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 20:10:52 Maxim Wexler wrote:
3 > > > Not sure this is related with the OP's problem, I have noticed that
4 >
5 > on my
6 >
7 > > > system I can scroll up in a console if it displays the output of a
8 > > > command, e.g. ls, but I cannot scroll up on the boot messages. Also, I
9 > > > cannot scroll up on the log messages on VT12. Is there something that
10 > > > I need to set up in the kernel? In the old days (perhaps different
11 > > > machine?) I used to be able to
12 > > > scroll up in both.
13 > >
14 > > Also note, if you migrate away from the boot console and then come
15 > > back, it may not scrollback at all. If I want to see what boot is
16 > > doing I scroll back immediately before running startx or moving to
17 > > another console.
18 >
19 > Maxim (or anyone else):
20 > do you know what causes scrollback to be disabled once you move to a
21 > different terminal?
22 > Amit
25 The scrollback buffer is global, not per-VT
26
27 So when you change VT, the buffer must go away other wise you have wrong text
28 on the wrong terminal.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com