From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Auto-mount USB device
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:25:03
1 On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 06:51 -0700, Stephen Liu wrote:
2 > Hi Iain,
5 > > OK, we're getting somewhere!!
6 >
7 > Something strange happened here. After serveral boots the trick did not work any more.
8 >
9 > Login as "user"
10 >
11 > # `gnome-volume-manager &`
12 > (gnome-volume-manager:6102): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
13 > Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
14 > * end *
15
16 sorry, should have mentioned here that you only need to start
17 gnome-volume-manager once. From then it will (should) add itself to
18 your session and automatically start next time you login to gnome...
19
20 > However
21 > # ls /media
22 > disk
23 >
24 > still showing one mount point of the partitions (the HD on USB
25 > enclosure has 2 partitions, both on ext3). Another disk-1
26 > disappeared. But it has not mounted. I have to run;
27 > # mount /dev/sdb1 /media/disk
28 >
29 > I haven't figured out the cause. I made several tests with the same
30 > result.
31
32 I find sometimes that stale entries get left it /media. If you unplug
33 all external storage, and make sure nothing in /media is mounted, you
34 can purge /media and try again.
35
36 > > I used to have this issue (drives would mount, but not show up on the
37 > > desktop). I fixed it by upgrading.
38 >
39 > > Have you considered gnome 2.14?
40 >
41 > I'm running gnome-light of version 2.14.2.
42