From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions regarding the usage of multiple locales
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:00:12
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 26 June 2010 12:10:02 Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > Your aterm is configured as a login shell, and as such reads
6
7 At least I thought so, what else could be the cause. But I just emerged
8 aterm, and the default is also to be not a login shell. There is a -ls
9 option for this, or the loginShell resource. Same as for xterm. So, there
10 should be no difference in those two shells. Maybe you started them with a
11 desktop shortcut that has extra options in it?
12 When debugging such things, I modify the startup files and add statements
13 like '[[ $- == *i* ]] echo .bashrc', so I see which ones get read. The [[
14 ]] stuff makes this happen in interactive shells, so scripts are not
15 confused by the text output.
16
17 When starting one terminal from inside another, environment variables will
18 be
19
20 > > /etc/profile, which reads /etc/profile.env (and ~/.[bash]profile).
21 > > xterm is not a login shell, and reads /etc/bash/bashrc (and
22 > > ~/.bashrc). You can call xterm with the -ls option to make it
23 > > alogin shell. For konsole, I have set it to execute bash -l to make
24 > > it a login shell.
25 > >
26 > > Another workaround might be to read /etc/profile.env in your .bashrc,
27 > > or in /etc/bash/bashrc.
28 >
29 > Hmm... I've added all this in my /etc/env.d/02locale:
30 >
31 > LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
32 > LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
33 [...]
34 >
35 > and in my ~/.bashrc
36 >
37 > export LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
38 > export LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
39 [...]
40 >
41 > but this is what aterm is showing:
42 >
43 > $ locale
44 > LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
45 > LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
46 [...]
47 > LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
48
49 Still looks like login shell behaviour, or else ~/.bashrc should have been
50 read.
51
52 > There's no mention of LANG or LC_*US* in /etc/profile.env,
53
54 Did you run env-update.sh? This puts all the stuff in /etc/env.d/ into
55 /ect/profile.env.
56
57 > /etc/bash/bashrc, or anywhere else that I can see. So, where is it
58 > being read from?
59
60 Hmm. Does grep -r LC_ALL /etc find something?
63 > PS. Not sure why LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 does not have " " marks like the LC_
64 > parameters?
65
66 Seems to be normal behaviour of the locale command.
67
68 Sorry, I don't know what's going on there.
69
70 Wonko