From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to run X11 apps remotely?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 16:42:03
1 How does one run "modern" X11 apps remotely?
2
3 Using ssh -X or ssh -Y works fine for older applications, but not for
4 things that use "modern" toolkits. Modern tookit designers appear to
5 have adopted a life mission to maximize the number of client-server
6 round-trips required for even a trivial event like a keystroke in a
7 text box.
8
9 As a result, even with a 5-10Mbps remote connection, it takes several
10 minutes to enter a string of even a few characters. A mouseclick on a
11 button can take a minute or two to get processed. Resizing a window
12 pretty much means it's time for a cuppa.
13
14 Opening chrome and loading a web page can take 10-15 minutes. No
15 activity at all on the screen, but the network connection to the remote
16 machine is saturated at 5Mbps for minutes at a time. WTF?
17
18 Something like LibreOffice is completely unusable.
19
20 Even something "lightweight" like atril is so slow it's barely usable.
21
22 I do not want a "remote desktop". I just want to run a single
23 application on a remote machine and have its window show up locally.
24
25 Back in the day, I used to run X11 apps remotely through dial-up
26 connections, and most of them were a little sluggish but still
27 actually usable...
28
29 X11 transparent network support was its killer feature, but for all
30 practical purpopses, that feature seems to have been killed.
33 Grant