From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System freezes during compiles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:57:51
1 Am 20.03.2013 05:42, schrieb Carlos Hendson:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > For last few weeks or so, I've been getting intermittent hard lock-ups
5 > during the emerge of various packages. It appears the more compile
6 > intensive the package, the more likely the lock-up. These lock-ups have
7 > occurred under kernels 3.4.9 and 3.7.10 with gcc 4.5.4 and 4.6.3.
8 >
9 > Once the machine is in a frozen state, the only thing that responds is
10 > the soft power reset button. Some times the machine lock-ups again
11 > after the button is pressed (this is because the compile resumes once
12 > the system comes out of it's frozen state).
13 >
14 > If the system subsequently lock-ups because I wasn't able to cancel the
15 > compile fast enough only a only option left is a hard power reset (10sec
16 > + hold power button). If I cancel the compile, the system is perfectly
17 > responsive and functions normally.
18 >
19 > There are kernel stack traces in /var/log/messages which I'm unable to
20 > decipher and diagnose as to what caused the lock-up.
21 >
22 > If I had to guess, I'd blame an incorrect setting in the .config, but
23 > since I'm stuck in the diagnostic of what part of the kernel might be
24 > experiencing the problem, I need a bit of help to pin point the issue.
25 >
26 > I believe it to be a kernel configuration issue because when I booted
27 > the machine using a system rescue Live CD, I was able to chroot into the
28 > system and emerge packages like gcc without the lock-up problem
29 > occurring.
30 >
31 > That's by no means conclusive, however, I've also run a complete pass of
32 > memcheck for over an hour without any issues reported.
33 >
34 > I'd like to completely rule out hardware failure, what diagnostic tools
35 > tools are recommend to try identify potential hardware issue of this
36 > type?
37 >
38 > The various kernel stack traces are attached in case someone wants to
39 > take a look. I can provide more information should it be needed.
40 >
41 > Any help or advice would be appreciated.
42 >
43 > Regards,
44 > Carlos
45 you might just hit a thrashing situation. Linux is very bad when it
46 comes to abusing swap in case of an emergency.
47
48 But it also sounds like overheating or a power problem. Power problems
49 might be caused by the PSU - but it could also be the power circuitry of
50 your mobo.