From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:34:36
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 29.01.2013 20:05, schrieb Michael Mol:
3 >
4 >> I'll note that in your version, you're ignoring the exit statuses of
5 >> each of those commands. From a correctness standpoint, I prefer
6 >> Stefan's version.
7 >
8 > Thanks ;-)
9 >
10 > Also thanks to Canek for the script-version ... I knew that way but
11 > wanted to fully take advantage from the step-by-step approach my version
12 > gives me.
13 >
14 > When I debugged my way up to the current draft it was helpful to see
15 > which line/command failed etc.
16
17 That's my point; you don't need (and I would venture to say, you don't
18 want) to debug this kind of stuff within systemd; you create your
19 script, and you run it from the command line:
20
21 $ /usr/local/bin/kvm-bridge start
22
23 And see what is missing or what is failing; you debug it from here.
24 When you have a working script, you just put it in a simple, concise
25 systemd unit file, and everything should work (sans stuff like needing
26 to put absolute paths for the executables, which BTW is easily
27 solvable by putting PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin in your
28 /etc/conf.d/network_systemd file).
29
30 But, for the last time: if it works, it works. I just think that's not
31 the philosophy behind systemd; the idea is to find the proper
32 solution. Using ExecStart= commands to debug when a "service" fails is
33 as bad as putting echo statements in SysV/OpenRC scripts to see what
34 is failing, IMO. Don't use the bad practices from SysV/OpenRC in
35 systemd, I'm just saying.
36
37 Just my opinion. But great to know is working.
38
39 Regards.
40 --
41 Canek Peláez Valdés