From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wlan0/ndiswrapper failing after gcc-4 upgrade (and dual Windows boot)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:52:45
1 On Saturday 25 November 2006 20:29, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I've been upgrading a couple of machines. Things are going fairly
4 > well but there have been a few problems. This one I need to work out
5 > first.
6 >
7 > 1) My son's machine was rebuilt with gcc-4 following the upgrade
8 > guide. Everything went well and it finished up yesterday afternoon.
9 > Since I use ndiswrapper on that machine I rebuilt the kernel with
10 > gcc-4 and I rebooted with the new kernel and new drivers. Everything
11 > worked great including wireless, MythTV frontend, Aqualung, etc.
12 >
13 > 2) This morning I cold booted and everything worked. I did an eix-sync
14 > and had a couple of things to build so I did that. One of them was new
15 > a udev package. Coldplug was removed from the machine.
16 >
17 > 3) I *think* I warm booted at this point and things still worked but
18 > I'm not positive on that. However I then booted the machine into
19 > Windows to check that it was still there for games, and then warm
20 > booted back into Gentoo. At this point wireless was completely gone. I
21 > tried cold booting but that didn't help so I don't think running
22 > Windows made any real difference.
23 >
24 > a) /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stays it's stopped. If I try to start wlan0
25 > I'm told it doesn't exist.
26 >
27 > b) I have the link from net.wlan0 to net.lo.
28 >
29 > c) I rebuilt ndiswrapper and it loads. ndiswrapper -l tells me that
30 > the driver is loaded and the device is present.
31 >
32 > d) All the basic stuff like route doesn't see the interface, as
33 > expected I guess.
34 >
35 > Where might I look for what's gone wrong?
36 >
37 > As an aside, the Gentoo kernels remove support for stack size
38 > changes so ndiswrapper complains about the kernel when it's emerged.
39 > Is there a patch to get an 8K stack size option back again? Why does
40 > anyone remove this in the first place instead of just setting it to a
41 > sane default?
42 >
43 > Sorry I Cannot send any info from the box but it's off the net.
44
45 In case you haven't, remerge/modprobe the module for the wifi card.
46
47 HTH.
48 --
49 Regards,