From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting up without X
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:47:33
1 On Tuesday 18 December 2007 16:32:26 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > The way I see it there are two possible solutions:
4 >
5 > 1. Create a new runlevel, say "nox" and just don't put xdm in the
6 > runlevel. The drawback to this is you have to maintain another
7 > runlevel.
8
9 I don't see what maintenance load this imposes. I have a no-x runlevel for
10 when I don't want a GUI, and since creating it and populating it I've never
11 had to touch it.
12
13 In practice, it turns out that the only differences between my default and
14 no-x are the presence of gpm in no-x and of xdm and lm_sensors in default.
15 (I use lm_sensors for gkrellm, which of course, although indispensable on
16 the desktop, isn't much use in a character display.)
19 Rgds
20 Peter
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list