From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 06:24:48
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > Software is MS Windows only according to that site.
5 > What are you using on Linux?
6 >
7 > Sometimes the software on the UPS gets changed. This might mean it is
8 > not compatible anymore.
9 > --
10 > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
13 I haven't connected the UPS yet so I'm still using my old UPS and nut
14 software. It has a Linux version on the CD but no mention of Gentoo,
15 just rpm and deb. I tried to install this once before and I never got
16 the software to work right. I think it was the init scripts that caused
17 trouble.
18
19 I looked at the nut website and it says the new UPS uses usbhid-ups
20 which appears to need to be connected to the UPS by USB. I'll try the
21 serial cable first, see what if anything it reports, then try USB and
22 see if it reports the same thing. The old UPS uses powerpanel drivers
23 within nut. That is sort of confusing since they call the Linux drivers
24 the same as the windows software.
25
26 Looks like I'm going to have to test this to see if it works or not. If
27 it does, may need to report it to the people on the nut website. I
28 would prefer serial if it works the same myself.
29
30 Thanks much.
31
32 Dale
33
37 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!