From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:37:02
1 Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:
4 > I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
5 > environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
6 > internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home. Does
7 > anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've looked at
8 > Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
9
10 adding packages to *ubuntu* after installation, is trivial and part
11 of normal system maintenance. As others have stated, you can use
12 catalyst to create your own gentoo-derivative OS, thus controlling
13 what software the students are using (hopefully). On most every
14 install of linux, it's fairly simple and routine to downloand and
15 install new software; so assess your goals of keeping them each
16 rigidly on the same install base of whatevery distro you select to use.
20 There are 2 differnt gentoo derivatives I'd suggest:
21
22 Pentoo, is most excellent for the security minded. (weak on community
23 support).....
24 http://www.pentoo.ch/isos/
27 Arch linux is fantastic for noobs..... who want a Gentoo_ish distro!
28 https://www.archlinux.org/download/
31 ymmv,
32 hth,
33 James