From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up; bash now uses "readline" USE flag
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:36:57
1 On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:07:08 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Am Montag, 10. September 2012, 15:19:38 schrieb Walter Dnes:
5 > > On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:41:36AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
6 > >
7 > > > On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:42:45 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
8 > > > > > Isn't readline enabled by default on all reasonable profiles?
9 > > > > > Do you have USE="-* in make.conf? If so, it's just bitten you.
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > Yup. I did that to avoid further surprises after the
12 > > > > developers "in
13 > > > >
14 > > > > their infinite wisdom" had IPV6 "enabled by default on all
15 > > > > reasonable profiles". Watching Firefox and mplayer spinning
16 > > > > their wheels for 45 seconds at a time till IPV6 lookups timed
17 > > > > out was not fun.
18 > > >
19 > > > I'd rather have that that an unusable shell. As was noted
20 > > > elsewhere this weekend, even if a USE flag is set but renamed, -*
21 > > > screws it up.
22 > >
23 > > So no matter what I do or don't do, a developer can find a way to
24 > > screw me up. Next thing you know, I'll have to re-partition my
25 > > system or else replace udev with mdev, to boot up... oops.
26 >
27 > wtf are you talking about? Just because you are unable to look at
28 > changed useflags when glancing over the output of emerge -a is not an
29 > excuse for using something idiotic like -*.
30 >
31 > Doing so and then complaining is just vile.
34 He seems to have reacted badly to a singular bad experience with a
35 dodgy ebuild.
36
37 It's a classic case of seeing the one occasion where something went
38 wrong and not see the 999 cases where it didn't. Then truing to deal
39 with the 1 for the future "just in case"
40
41 I get a similar kind of thing often at work. Someone makes a mistake
42 and a chunk of the network goes down. The next day I might get a
43 draconian mail from some manager demanding that vast sweeping changes
44 to login rules be implemented "just in case this ever happens again".
45
46 Lucky for the company I have some cajones and just say no. Then I
47 investigate and 3 times out of 4 I find the broken router is running
48 some weird version of Cisco IOS which does something completely
49 unexpected with a perfectly ordinary command. The other 1 time I always
50 find a bat-shit crazy business customization that no sane engineer
51 would ever have signed off on.
52
53 The solution is never to try change the behaviour of all the humans.
54 The solution is to change the behaviour of the one faulty machine when
55 it breaks, and have many smart humans around with brains that can spot
56 the busted machine quickly.
60 Alan McKinnon
61 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com