From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:46:24
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:45 on Wednesday 11 May 2011, Dale did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > On 05/11/2011 02:50 AM, Dale wrote:
6 > >> [...]
7 > >> What do you know, I upgraded and it worked. Now if I can just get rid of
8 > >> this Nepomuk thingy that pops up a bit after I login to KDE.
9 > >
10 > > You disable that in System Settings. There's an icon for it there.
11 > > Or, you build KDE with "-semantic-desktop" in your make.conf, which
12 > > builds KDE without it.
13 >
14 > This is odd. I thought I turned that off before but figured maybe a
15 > config update turned it back on. I just checked, it is turned off.
16 > That thing just won't die. lol
17 >
18 > I do have the USE flag enabled. I read somewhere that turning the flag
19 > off gets rid of a lot of stuff, some that I use on occasion. Has that
20 > changed? We all know the USE flag descriptions don't always shed much
21 > light on the real use of it. ;-)
22 >
23 > Maybe it will give up one day and just go away.
24
25 You can't disable USE="semantic-desktop"
26
27 Parts of KDE don't (or soon won't) build at all without the configure options
28 it provides. In other words, it's a gentoo thing and completely unsupported by
29 KDE. Get used to having it enabled.
30
31 It uses hardly any cpu at all, regardless of what the naysayers say. But that
32 popup should not be happening, mine disappeared two revisions ago. The
33 solution is in kde's bugzilla somewhere, you will have to search for it.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com