From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:56:55
1 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
5
6 > Thanks for your advice. They were surely helpful.
7
8 My pleasure.....
12 > This 'de-bloat' crap - who came up with that? People who use it all the
13 > times seldomly realize that the 'small and unbloated' software they use
14 > is in a lot of cases neither small, nor not bloated.
15
16 I wish I could take credit for it; it is a very, very popular concept,
17 characterize our newest noob, as you like....
18
19 Lots of folks have lots of reasons to reduce the space/ram/cup resource
20 consumption, particularly for things they do not want and quite often
21 due to constraints on resources....(ymmv).
24 > Usually it comes from the same headspace that ricing comes from.
25
26 Wow, dude! a serious compliment from one of my many heros!
27
28 Do remember that my knowledge of "ricing" comes from the very coolest
29 and early vintige motorcycles:
30
31 https://www.google.com/search?client=seamonkey-a&rls=org.mozilla:
32 en-US:unofficial&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BjzZU_iXEuvmsAT74oKADA&
33 ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=886&bih=829&q=Original
34 rice-rockets motorcycle
37 Bloat (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bloated)
38 Full Definition of BLOATED
39 1 : obnoxiously vain <a bloated ego>
40 2 a : being much larger than what is warranted <a bloated estimate>
41
42 now now boys, try not be so full of angst with your choices. Gentoo
43 is about choices; and bloat by it's very nature, is in the eyes of the
44 beholder..... Some guys like a 'big boodie, some guys like it skinny!
45
46 From a technical perspective, just look at the amazing world of embedded
47 systems...... bloat will get you fired cause your embedded system
48 will run slower than your competitors on similar hardware.
51 Enjoy!
52 James