From: jan werner <jan.werner@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning a Gentoo box
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:16:56
1 Ronald Vincent Vazquez schrieb:
2
3 >Ronald V. Vazquez wrote:
7 >>Hello all:
8 >>
9 >>I wanted to get some ideas from the list on how to clone a Gentoo box.
10 >>Perhaps others on the list are interested as well.
11 >>
12 >>Thanks,
13 >>RV
21 >Do you mean to make one install then copy everything over to a new system?
22 >
23 >Dale
24 >:-)
25 >--
26 >gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
27 >
28 >Dale:
29 >
30 >Yes, let say that I install a machine with all my basic software and want
31 >to set up a second machine without having to reinstall. What technique
32 >would you use?
33 >
34 >RV
38 after building my "final" system with bootloader and so on
39 i start with a linux boot cd, mounting all my partitions for and exampel:
40
41 /dev/hda1 -> /mnt/gentoo/boot
42 /dev/hda2 -> /mnt/gentoo
43
44 and so on
45
46 mounting my usb-hdd to transfer the system to the second machine
47
48 switch to the /mnt/gentoo directory
49
50 tar -cvjf /mnt/my-usb-hdd/backup.bz2 *
51
52 starting to drink some tee
53
54 after this on the new computer making my partitions
55
56 extracting all to the new hdd (tar -xvjf /mnt/my-usb-hdd/backup.bz2 -C
57 /mnt/gentoo)
58
59 and adjusting the fstab and installing the boot loader
60
61 that should work if the system is nearly the same like amd64 -> amd64 or
62 something like that