From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] codec for video embedded in presentation
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:30:53
1 2013/1/1 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On 2013-01-01, Stroller wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> On 30 December 2012, at 11:39, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
8 > >>> ...
9 > >>> The AVI container has been used by windows for a long time, so I'd say
10 > >>> chances are that it will work on more systems, but I can't say for
11 > sure.
12 > >>
13 > >> But h264 in an AVI is invalid.
14 > >>
15 > >> AVI is dated and just plain nasty.
16 > >>
17 > >> You should use something else (like h264 in an MP4) if you possibly can.
18 > >
19 > > AVI is old, AVI has issues. AVI is not compatible with some
20 > > codecs. *But* AVI has been around for long enough to be supported by
21 > > many versions of Windows and Office, and what we're looking for here is
22 > > whatever offers the broadest support. I don't even think Windows (at
23 > > least up to 7) has a builtin h264 decoder. At least I remember having to
24 > > install codecs in Vista and 7 machines in order to view h264 Youtube
25 > > videos.
26 >
27 > Did a bit of googling. Windows 7 includes h264 support.
28 >
29 > In any case, there's something *critically* important missing in most
30 > of this discussion about AVI vs something else.
31 >
32 > Just because Windows supports AVI doesn't mean that Windows includes
33 > all possible codecs you might stuff in an AVI. There's h264, there's
34 > MPEG, MPEG2, Theora, RLE Windows Media and hundreds of codecs I've
35 > forgotten. And that's just video. For audio, there's more variation
36 > than there is for WAV[1]. In addition to anything WAVE files might
37 > contain, you might find just about anything. There's FLAC, AAC, Speex,
38 > MP2a, MP3, Vorbis and thousands more.
39 >
40 > AVI is just a container. Nothing more. Containers are like ZIP files
41 > or tar files, but instead of containing a filesystem, they contain a
42 > variable number of audio and video streams in such a way that the
43 > audio and video data for a moment in time are close together and
44 > easily accessible. The meat is in the audio and video streams, the
45 > format of which we call codecs.
46 >
47 > The big question is what *codecs* are available on the target systems.
48 >
49 > If you're looking for the absolute widest degree of support, you're
50 > looking at DIB encoding for video with uLaw PCM for audio. But that's
51 > going to be a *huge* file, because there's no compression at all!
52 >
53 > The best compression that's going to be available on the widest
54 > variety of systems is probably going to be MPEG2 video with MPEG2
55 > layer 3 audio.
56 >
57 > The best compression that might be available, period, would be h.264,
58 > combined with MP4 audio, in an MP4 container. Almost as good results
59 > can be had with h.264 video, MP4 audio in an AVI container.[2]
60 >
61 > So, Francisco, what version of Windows will your slideshow be played on?
62 >
63 > [1] Yeah, WAVE files aren't exactly simple, either. They can contain
64 > different PCM encodings. There's aLaw, uLaw, float...
65 > [2] For full effectiveness, h.264 requires features that the AVI
66 > container doesn't have.
67 >
68 > --
69 > :wq
72 Wow, what a class! Thank you a lot, that explained much of my doubts. I had
73 no problems with audio, I use several programs and several codecs for
74 messing around with different audio file formats. But video was still a
75 mystery to me.
76
77 As a matter of fact, I am not sure on what windows version this
78 presentation will be played, it is a training presentation, so I suppose we
79 can only expect at least XP.
80
81 I will bring a free MS office player, so that part should not be a problem.
82 And also a "K-Lite" or any other codecs package installer.
83
84 Thanks
85 --
86 Francisco
87 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
88 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
89 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
90 - George Bernard Shaw