From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:40:09
1 On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 15:16:24 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 1:53 AM Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net
4 > >
5 > > <mailto:abbot@×××××××××××.net>> wrote:
6 > > https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/ripe-list/2019-November/001712
7 > > .html
8 > >
9 > > This does not come as a surprise, of course, but I consider it a good
10 > > point in time to pause and ask oneself what each individual can do to
11 > > move further towards IPv6. The end is neigh(ish).
12 > >
13 > > Turning on ipv6 has been on my agenda for a while, but I will need to
14 > > setup a firewall. Currently i have a single ipv4 NAT box with some
15 > > port forwards. However, when i enable v6, all my internal hosts become
16 > > directly routable from the Internet via the /56 my ISP assigns me.
17 >
18 > I have a question about this. I've read about this for ages and sort of
19 > get the idea, running out of numbers basically. There's two questions
20 > that I can't answer tho. I have a old Linksys router, the old blue
21 > thing that is so common. Would I have to buy a new router?
22
23 Yes. You will need a router which has an IPv6 network stack on it, besides
24 the legacy IPv4 network stack, to be able to route IPv6 addresses directly
25 from your LAN.
26
27 Depending on how useful your ISP is, they may offer IPv6 tunneling over IPv4.
28 You connect to their gateway/proxy over IPv4 as you do now with your existing
29 router, but route through the IPv4 tunnel your IPv6 connections. Their
30 gateway will act as an endpoint for your IPv4 tunnel and forward your IPv6
31 packets to the IPv6 interwebs. It is likely they will only do this after they
32 have a good sniff at them, but in this age of universal surveillance such an
33 activity won't be something surprising.
36 > I also have
37 > a older DSL modem, it's a old Westell black box. Would this require a
38 > newer modem as well?
39
40 If this is an ADSL modem only (i.e. no PPP negotiation or NAT'ing - a.k.a.
41 'Fully Bridged Mode') then it is using ATM encapsulation. IPv4 or IPv6
42 packets from your LAN will be encapsulated into ATM frames by your modem and
43 sent to the telephone exchange over copper wires. There is no need to change
44 your modem in this case.
45
46 However, if your modem is operating in a 'Half-Bridged mode' then it is
47 essentially performing IP masquerading plus ATM encapsulation. In this case
48 it is routing ethernet - it will have to be able to manage IPv6 packets. An
49 old (legacy) router will only have IPv4 stack and the previous comments apply.
50 You could always set the modem in fully bridged mode, after you connect to its
51 management interface, and thereafter use your router to perform PPP
52 authentication with your ISP. In fully bridged mode you won't need to change
53 your modem.
56 > I'm thinking those boxes would have to have
57 > software at least that would support the newer addresses but nothing
58 > I've read really answers those questions. I don't know if they even
59 > update software on those old things.
60 >
61 > Thoughts??
62 >
63 > Dale
64 >
65 > :-) :-)
66
67 You need to google for alternative linux based firmware/software for your
68 router and modem make and model. However, if these are really old devices,
69 then their chipsets and RAM may not be adequate to allow them to run dual
70 network stacks without grinding to a halt. If the OEMs never provided IPv6
71 capability, for these devices it could well be the case the hardware is not
72 capable of carrying the processing load.
73 --
74 Regards,
75
76 Mick