From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage problem
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:47:14
1 On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:13:05 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
2
3 > I haven't been able to find any syntax to actually use slots,
4
5 In general, you don't. Slots are mainly used for libraries and similar
6 programs that are used by other programs. One program needs libfoo
7 1.x,another needs libfoo 2.x. Slots enable you to have both installed and
8 both programs are happy.
9
10 There are a few slotted packages where a user decides which version they
11 want, but this is done is the same way as specifying the version for
12 non-slotted packages, by specifying the version in the emerge command.
13
14 > This morning, when I
15 > did the cut/paste of your command, it came back and asked me:
18 > [ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 USE="cups doc examples ipv6 opengl
19 > - -debug (-firebird) -gif -immqt -immqt-bc -mysql -nas -nis -odbc
20 > -postgres
21 > - -sqlite -xinerama" 0 kB
22 >
23 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
24 >
25 > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
26 >
27 > What the heck does it mean to merge these?
28
29 You ran emerge with the --ask parameter, so it shows you what it is going
30 to install then asks for confirmation before proceeding. In this case,
31 you can see there is no change of version or USE flags, so emerging it
32 again is unnecessary.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Pedestrians come in two types: Quick or Dead.