From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux' IO performance sucks
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 04:43:49
1 On 7/4/06, Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote:
2 > So about every 200MB (i guess the linux box writes the data into the
3 > cache in the RAM first) linux writes the harddisk. But during that time
4 > - during the time it writes that 200MB to disk, there is no chance for
5 > any other IO. I'm playing an mp3 from the very same fileserver. It stops
6 > playing, because the machine does answer the read-requests.
7
8 What filesystem are you using? I've seen this kind of behavior with
9 XFS, and the anticipatory scheduler, and solved it with the following
10 in my /etc/conf.d/local.start:
11
12 test -f /sys/block/sda/queue/iosched/antic_expire && \
13 echo 0 >/sys/block/sda/queue/iosched/antic_expire
14 test -f /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode && echo 0 >/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
15 test -f /proc/sys/fs/xfs/xfssyncd_centisecs && \
16 echo 500 > /proc/sys/fs/xfs/xfssyncd_centisecs
17
18 You might also play with some of the other settings in
19 /proc/sys/fs/xfs and see what works for you.
20
21 Of course, if you are using a different filesystem or different
22 scheduler, it might help to know that.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list