From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage elog messages about historical symlinks
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:17:19
1 On Wednesday 24 Jul 2013 21:43:32 Kerin Millar wrote:
2 > On 24/07/2013 19:22, Mick wrote:
3 > > I am getting messages like the one below from portage every now and then.
4 > > Especially, about /var/run, but in this case about a different directory:
5 > >
6 > > * Messages for package dev-libs/klibc-1.5.20:
7 > > * One or more symlinks to directories have been preserved in order to
8 > > * ensure that files installed via these symlinks remain accessible.
9 > > This * indicates that the mentioned symlink(s) may be obsolete
10 > > remnants of an * old install, and it may be appropriate to replace a
11 > > given symlink with * the directory that it points to.
12 > > *
13 > > * /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
14 > > *
15 > >
16 > > Perhaps I am having a senior moment, but I am not clear what I should do
17 > > despite the friendly message. This is the symlink in question:
18 > >
19 > > ls -la /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
20 > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov 8 2008 /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm ->
21 > > asm-x86
24 > > How am I supposed to *replace* it with the directory that it points to?
25 >
26 > I would take it to mean that /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm should be a
27 > directory and contain the files that are currently residing in the
28 > asm-x86 directory. For example:
29 >
30 > # rm asm
31 > # mkdir asm
32 > # mv -- asm-x86/* asm/
33 > # rmdir asm-x86
34
35 Thanks Kerin, I did as you suggested, remerged dev-libs/klibc and now waiting
36 to see if anything breaks. Ha!
39 Regards,
40 Mick