From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wayland assorted problems
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:51:50
1 I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log in
2 at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
3 doesn't start properly!
4
5 I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up properly.
6 But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled the Radeon and
7 R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff in the kernel and
8 not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers into the kernel, but
9 am worried I might have missed something. I've changed it for the next
10 kernel so it'll be a module loading what it wants from the firmware
11 directory, so hopefully that'll be better but I'm not sure.
12
13 I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
14
15 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
16 [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
17 Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
18 Kernel driver in use: radeon
19 Kernel modules: radeon
20
21 I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads me
22 to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think the
23 card isn't set up properly.
24
25 The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first attempt
26 to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not) start
27 successfully.
30 I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
31 compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...
34 And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
35 user, and got the error
36
37 kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us
38
39 Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
40 going to clash with another user!
41
42 I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other clues
43 as to what's going on.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Wol